While it is always most accurate to be fully evaluated by a trained Ayurvedic practitioner filling out the following questionnaire can give you insight into the balances of energies unique to your body.
As you fill out the following questionnaire, give yourself two points if a statement is clearly true for you. Give yourself one point is it is somewhat true. Give yourself no points if it is clearly not true.
Add up the total number of points for Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. This will give you the relative dominance of each of the forces in your constitution. You may not necessarily be dominant in one type but may be a unique blend of the three.
1. I am thin and my body build is "slight."
2. I have a difficult time gaining weight or I am like a yo-yo going up and down.
3. My skin tends to be dry.
4. I feel cold often compared to others and I do not sweat very easily.
5. My complexion is dull gray or dusty.
6. When my digestion is not normal I tend toward constipation.
7. The shape of my face and jaw line is long and narrow.
8. When I am healthy I have a lot of energy and enthusiasm but focusing can be difficult.
9. I am prone to feeling nervous or anxious.
10. I tend to be a light sleeper and often suffer from insomnia.
1. I am of moderate weight and my build is moderate with good muscle tone.
2. My weight is steady and fluctuations are small.
3. My skin tends to be oily.
4. I often feel warm and sweat easily.
5. My complexion is rosy.
6. My digestion is not normal I tend toward diarrhea or burning digestion.
7. The shape of my face and jaw like is angular.
8. When I am healthy I have a lot of energy and I am very focused.
9. I am prone to feeling irritated, angry and resentful.
10. I sleep well and wake up easily. I may be awoken by dreams.
1. I am of "stocky" body build and I often carry some extra weight.
2. It is difficult to lose weight.
3. My skin tends to be oily.
4. I often feel cold and sweat easily.
5. My complexion is pale.
6. My digestion is generally good though I may occasionally have some constipation.
7. The shape of my face is round.
8. When healthy I move slowly and have a lot of endurance.
9. I am prone to feeling lethargic and depressed.
10. I sleep deeply and sometimes have a difficult time waking up.
Dr. Marc Halpern is the founder and President of the California College of Ayurveda. An internationally respected expert in the fields of Ayurveda and Yoga, Dr. Halpern received the award for Best Ayurvedic Physician from the Indian Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr. A. Ramdas. He is a co-founder of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association and the California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine. He is on the advisory board of Light on Ayurveda Journal in the United States and the Journal of Research and Education in Indian Medicine in Varansi, India. Dr. Halpern has published articles in popular journals and magazines of Ayurveda and Yoga including Yoga Journal. He is also a contributing writer in several popular books on Ayurveda and has written two textbooks. Dr. Halpern is a regular speaker at Ayurvedic and Yoga conferences and teaches regularly at the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers where he received his Yoga Teacher certification. Read more...