Ayurvedic Healing Practices to Help Kids Grow Up Easier
Ayurveda Has Helped Kids With
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Middle ear dysfunction
- Balance problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Blindness(certain types)
- Brain damage
- Cerebral Palsy
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Dental problems
- Developmental delays
- Digestion problems
- Ear Infections
- Learning difficulties
- Migraine Headaches
- Nutrition problems
- Personality disorder
- Psychotic episodes
- Short term memory problems
Ayurveda Can Help In The Following Areas
Spirit: Clarity deepens ones personal connection.
Body: Ayurveda supports all body functions.
Mind: Ayurveda brings peace and calm to the mind.
Emotions: Ayurveda brings emotional balance.
Social: Ayurveda supports social skills.
Brief Description Of Ayurveda
- The traditional medicine of India--which literally translated means “the science or knowledge of life,” can support the healing process from almost any condition or illness.
- It is often referred to as “the Mother of all healing” and focuses on health, rather than illness.
- Ayurveda truly treats the whole person.
- It is based on the idea that each person is unique, each imbalance is unique, and each person’s path toward healing is unique.
- Therapies utilized include dietary, herbal, aroma, color, sound, massage, meditation, yoga, and lifestyle.
Success With Ayurveda
- Tom, an eight year old, suffered from frequent urination. With Ayurveda, the frequent urination was resolved in three months.
- Jackie, a three year old, had recurrent episodes of pneumonia. After six months of Ayurvedic treatment, the frequency of lung infections decreased dramatically.
- Alice, a four year old, was plagued with eczema on her legs and elbow. Her parents tried many remedies to no avail. After only one month of Ayurveda the condition disappeared.
Ayurveda Is Appropriate For Ages
- It is appropriate from birth to adulthood. How well the treatment works on which age varies according to the nature and degree of the imbalance.
- Some treatments work on all ages, including infants, while others require greater active participation, so the child must be older.
Children & Youth’s Reactions To Ayurveda
- Children usually enjoy the wide variety of therapies employed in their treatment.
Extra Care Is Needed
- Beyond taking herbal medicines, Ayurveda requires a lot of work on the part of both child and parent.
Contraindications: When Ayurveda Should Be Avoided
- There are none that apply all of the time.
- Severe, sudden onset of symptoms and/or severe conditions should be evaluated by a medical doctor.
- A lack of involvement by the patient or parents makes treatment very difficult.
- Herbs alone may help, but the whole treatment brings about the best results.
- Ayurveda evolved in India approximately 5,000 years ago.
- Complete Ayurvedic hospitals and universities exist in India.
- Although Ayurveda is new to America it has been growing in popularity for about 20 years.
- Key figures in Ayurveda include Dr. David Frawley, Dr. Vasant Lad, Dr. John Doulliard, and Dr. Deepak Chopra.
Basic Concepts And Components Of Ayurveda
- Disease is caused by living out of harmony with our environment.
- Health is the natural result of living in harmony.
- Healing is the process of returning to harmony.
- We are all unique (as defined by our constitution) and our path toward healing is also unique.
- Ultimately, the cause of all disease is forgetting our true nature as spirit. This separation causes us to act only as a body and sense organ. This leads to indulgences, which cause disease.
Description Of A Typical Session
- On the initial visit, a full and complete history is taken on the physical, emotional, and spiritual states of the individual.
- Tongue and pulse examinations are performed along with observation of body structure.
- Time is spent in consultation, examination, and on patient education.
- In the follow-up, time is spent checking how the patient is implementing the treatment plan.
Major Differences Of Opinion Between Practitioners
- Some practitioners may rely entirely on pulse diagnosis while others may rely more on the complete history and examination.
- Some practitioners may focus only on diet, herbs, and lifestyle while others may include the additional modalities of yoga, meditation, aroma, color, sound, and massage.
Fees/Costs In 2007
- Initial visits vary from $75 to $225.
- Follow-ups are from $75 to $175.
- Fees vary according to location in the country and experience of practitioner.
Average Time Per Session
- Session time varies according to training and experience, but the initial visit is generally two hours and follow-ups are 45 minutes.
Recommended Length Of Time Between Sessions
- Recommended time between sessions is one week to four weeks.
Estimated Length Of Time Before Improvements Can Be Expected
- This varies between four to eight sessions.
Suggestions To Make Ayurveda More Effective
- The practitioner should have experience working with children.
- Herbs can be mixed with juice to improve the taste.
- Parents need to support the plan made by the practitioner.
- Parents may need to be in an Ayurvedic program as well.
Other Methods That Are Similar To Ayurveda
Other Methods That Complement Ayurveda
Nature And Length Of Training To Be A Practitioner
- In the U.S., education varies and includes on-site and home study.
- Hours of education vary up to 1,700 hours.
- Independent and home study increase the number of hours significantly.
- Certification may take up to three years. Training at the California College of Ayurveda includes more than 1,700 hours of total education, including internship. Training covers all aspects of Ayurvedic science.
Special Training Needed To Work With Children & Youth
Certifications/Licenses Held By Practitioners
- Clinical Ayurvedic Specialists receive state-approved certification.
- There is currently no licensing required for Ayurvedic practice.
Professional Associations To Contact For Names Of Local Practitioners
- National Ayurvedic Medical Association. Website: www.ayurveda-nama.org
- California Association of Ayurvedic Medicine. Website:www.ayurveda-caam.org
- Please see the website of the California College of Ayurveda for a listing of practitioners. Go to: www.ayurvedacollege.com.
Number Of Certified Practitioners In U.S
- Approximately 500 in the United States
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Practitioner
- Check the amount of training.
- Check the amount of experience.
- Check references.
- Check reputation.
- Evaluate their curiosity about your child or youth.
- Ask the practitioner about the extent of their training: where and for how long, and how were they tested for competency.
- Has the practitioner been certified, and by whom?
- Contact the certifying organization and verify.
Leading Clinics, Centers, Practitioners
- California College of Ayurveda; 1117A East Main Street; Grass Valley, CA 95495; 530-274-9100;
Fax 530-274-7350; Website: www.ayurvedacollege.com; Email:email@example.com;
Founder: Dr. Marc Halpern
- The Ayurvedic Institute; P.O. Box 23445; Albuquerque, NM 87192-1445; 505-291-9698;
Fax: (505) 294-7572; Website: www.ayurveda.com/index.html.Founder: Dr. Vasant Lad
Resources, Research Papers, Books, DVD’s, Websites
- There are hundreds in the U.S. and thousands in India, mostly on the pharmacological aspects of the herbs and on the benefits of meditation.
- Dozens of articles/research papers are available on the website of the California College of Ayurveda: www.ayurvedacollege.com.
- Atreya, David Frawley. Practical Ayurveda: Secrets for Physical, Sexual & Spiritual Health. ME: Weiser Books, 1998.
- Frawley, David, M.D. Ayurveda and the Mind: The Healing of Consciousness. WI: Lotus Press, 1997.
- Frawley, David, M.D. Yoga & Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-Realization. WI: Lotus Press, 1999.
Helpful Tips For Parents
- To improve digestion, make sure the child eats in a quiet, peaceful environment without the distractions of television, reading, or excessive talking.
- To improve digestion and many other conditions, avoid feeding children all junk foods including white sugar, canned foods, old foods, and fast foods.
- To calm children’s minds, spend more time with them in nature.
- To help heal children of many conditions, parents need to cultivate greater faith, compassion, and unconditional love, and then bring this into their relationship with the child.
Biography Of Dr. Marc Halpern, DC, CAS, Author
- Years Experience: Fifteen
- Approximate number of children & youth patients: 200 in Ayurveda, 500 in Chiropractic
- Degrees: Doctor of Chiropractic through Palmer West Chiropractic College
- Post Graduate Certification in Holistic Health Care through New York Chiropractic College
- Ayurveda Certification through the American Institute of Vedic Studies
Statement By Dr. Marc Halpern, DC, CAS
I became interested in Ayurveda and meditation in an effort to heal myself of a life-threatening and debilitating disease. In 1987, I was crippled with severe arthritis, anemia, and liver dysfunction. Utilizing Ayurveda, meditation, and other methods of alternative medicine, I was able to heal myself. My work today is the result of that journey.
Today, I teach Ayurvedic seminars around the world, and am the President of the California College of Ayurveda. I am on the founding board of the National Ayurvedic Medical Association and California Association of Ayurvedic
My family has benefited from Ayurveda. I have referred patients to Ayurveda providers and most have done well. Unlike Chinese Medicine there is no licensing for Ayurveda practitioners at the state or national levels at this point. Make sure you carefully choose practitioners.
Any healing system that is as old as Ayurveda must work well. How both the complexity and the simplicity of it work so well to help children fascinate me. Children find Ayurvedic practices calming so they tend to like going to Ayurveda practitioners. Over the years I noticed that children from families following an Ayurvedic lifestyle did very well in living and learning. Picking an experienced practitioner is important.
Dr. Halpern’s contribution to this outstanding book for parents at Growing up easier