What’s for breakfast? Oatmeal! A great choice for bringing balance to vata dosha, during this season when vata will tend to go out of balance.
The key to making oatmeal truly delicious is to use plenty of water so that the resulting dish is creamy and smooth. If you make it too thick and paste-like, nothing you add to it will produce acceptable results!
V- PK+ (Balancing to vata dosha, aggravating to pitta and kapha)
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons seedless raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced soaked almonds
- 1/3 cup organic whole milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Place the almonds in 1 cup filtered water overnight. Peel off the skins and slice.
2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Stirring continuously, pour in the oats and then add the raisins and spices.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches a smooth, creamy consistency, 7 to 9 minutes. Stir in the banana.
4. Serve in a bowl with cream or milk and maple syrup.
Source: Eat, Taste, Heal” by Thomas Yarema, Daniel Rhoda and Chef Johnny Brannigan