What will your New Year’s Resolution be?
How about to embrace lifestyle practices which will promote optimal health and peace of mind?
What will your New Year’s Resolution be? How about to embrace lifestyle practices which will promote optimal health and peace of mind?
Ayurveda teaches that it is what we do on a daily, consistent basis that is the greatest determiner of our health. So by embracing healthy lifestyle choices, and eliminating unhealthy patterns, you’re helping to make sure that you’re creating a life of health rather than disease.
So what kinds of choices might this include? Let’s list some options:
- Go to bed by 10:00 pm and get up by about 6 am
- Eat primarily organic food
- Eat according to your dosha (vata, pitta or kapha)
- Eat your meals in a calm, peaceful environment
- Massage with abhyanga oil each day (sesame or almond oil for vata, sunflower or coconut oil for pitta, safflower or mustard oil for kapha)
- Scrape your tongue each morning
- Meditate daily
- Avoid sensory over-indulgence
You don’t have to do all of this. But perhaps choose two things, and do your best to make them a regular part of your daily routine. In six months, take another look at the list and perhaps choose two more. By the end of the year, you may find that you have completely transformed your health and your consciousness! Ayurveda teaches that even just one small change, consistently practiced, can create huge positive ripple effects in body and mind…
By:Dr. Marisa Jackson-Kinman (Sri Devi)
Faculty, California College of Ayurveda
Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist
Pancha Karma Specialist
Sivananda Certified Yoga Teacher