Integrate Western Medical Knowledge Into Ayurvedic Medicine
The California College of Ayurveda’s Ayurvedic Doctor Program focuses both on further expanding the student’s knowledge of Ayurveda and preparing the student to more easily communicate and work with those involved in Western Medicine. We believe that this truly integrative model is the future of Ayurvedic medicine in this country.
During this program, students will be attending classes as well as seeing patients. Students will come away with a deeper knowledge of Ayurveda and the ability to integrate aspects of Western medical knowledge into their practice allowing them to act as a bridge between the two sciences and be able to gain the highest level of understanding of a patient’s condition.
The Ayurvedic Doctor Program (AyD) has been approved by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
Please note, the title Doctor may only be used in a clinical setting in accordance with State regulations. State regulations vary from state to state. All graduates may use the title in writing and in teaching. Recommendations for how to approach the use of your title are made during the program.
Classes and Curriculum
Students will attend classes while seeing patients during this program. Students will also gain additional experience designing complex herbal formulations for a wide variety of conditions.
The Ayurvedic Doctor program begins with an 12-day Intensive.
This is a seven-day intensive that includes the following:
- Welcome and Overview of Ayurvedic Doctor Program & Laboratory Diagnosis & Special Testing: Students will learn the value of a wide variety of laboratory diagnostic tests and how to interpret them from an Ayurvedic perspective. This includes blood tests, urine tests, and other special tests.
- Guruvadi Gunas, Intuitive Pulse and Community Quick Pulse Assessment: Students will learn the advanced art of Ayurvedic pulse diagnosis. Students will learn how to perceive the 10 pairs of opposite qualities in the pulse. Students will also practice pulse diagnosis on the general public providing a quick determination of prakruti and vikruti.
- Paperwork Requirements: Students will review paperwork requirements needed to document consultations during the program.
The remaining 5 days of the intensive will be attended via VedaWeb.
- Pediatrics: Students will study the physical and emotional development of the child as well as the common diseases that affect children prior to puberty.
- Geriatrics: Students will study the physical and emotional evolution of the aged patient beginning at the age of 60 as well as the common diseases that affect the geriatric population.
- Introduction to Surgery: Students will gain a historical perspective on the use of surgery in Ayurvedic Medicine.
- Toxicology: This class will survey common environmental toxins and explore the traditional ayurvedic remedies.
- Research Methodology: This is the study of research design and how to read and interpret research with a critical eye.
Continuing Weekly Classes For Internship Supervision and Guidance
Case Studies: Students will present or observe at least two case studies per week following the intensives. Class time will also be spent answering general questions about student cases.
Students will complete a minimum of 100 additional patient visits, along with 50+ additional patient encounters through group work during the mandatory intensives and the weekly group meetings.
Students in the Ayurvedic Doctor program must pass a comprehensive clinical examination upon completion of the program.
On-site interns receive a stipend of $60.00 per visit during their internship. Interns who complete their entire internship successfully will have earned a total of $3,000. Off-site interns receive the equivalent or greater in patient fees.
Students must first complete Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist 2 (CAS2). Beginning in 2022, all students will also be required to have previously earned a minimum of 24 college credits (approximately 1 year of undergraduate studies) that include 6 credits in the sciences including Anatomy and/or Physiology.
This program has been approved by the California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education.
Please see our course catalog for current tuition.